Black Friday…Black Thursday…Blah, Blah, Blah
Those who know me, know I will not be in the stores on Black Friday, or Thanksgiving (and what the heck is that all about?)! But, that doesn’t mean that the rest of the world/shoppers needs to make wise, smart decisions like me. Some of my nearest and dearest love to Black Friday shop…so here’s some new tips and tricks…and I’ve attached links to my last 3 Black Friday blogs, for more tips, as well.
Black Friday Shopping Tips
(1) Be prepared. Before you head out to the store, research the Black Friday ads (which I will be posting as the become available) and outline exactly what you would like to purchase. And to be extra prepared, you can even research the layout of your store, so you’ll know exactly where to head to grab the items on your list.
(2) Be ready to stand in line for quite a long time. Wear comfy shoes and appropriate outerwear and consider leaving the kiddos at home (if this is not possible, bring toys or other items to keep them entertained while shopping).
(3) Know your store’s hours (some stores are opening on Thanksgiving night while others are waiting until the wee hours of Friday morning). Again, I will be posting store-specific information in the coming days.
(4) Familiarize yourself with each store’s price matching and/or coupon policy. Keep in mind that many stores have created special price matching policies specific for Black Friday.
(5) Make a list! This will keep you focused and will definitely help to prevent you from being tempted to purchase additional items that are not on the list.
(6) Remember to ask yourself whether the great deal you see is actually a great deal for you. You may also want to research online prices versus in-store prices, as you can often snag better deals online even when you factor in shipping costs. Plus, think about the time and gas saved when shopping online! Love that!
(7) Keep those receipts! After the adrenaline rush is over, you may realize that you got caught up in the Black Friday craziness and purchased items that you really do not want. As long as you have the receipt, you should be able to return them and get a full refund.
(8) Go with your mom, sister, or a friend. Plan ahead and plan to split up so you can snag items for each other. It’s the only way I’ve figured out to help you be in two places at once! If you don’t want to go to separate stores, you can each start out on separate ends of the same store and meet in the middle after you’ve snatched up as many of the things on your (and each other’s) lists as you could along the way.
(9) Gas up the night before so you don’t waste precious sleep OR shopping time at the pump. Also, map out your route based on store opening times to minimize backtracking and missing out on doorbuster items you’re planning to purchase.
(10) Don’t give up! If the item you are looking for is not on the shelf or display, check the front of the store where other shoppers may have left items they weren’t sure about before checking out. Or, check with your cashier to see if someone happened to change their mind at the register and leave the item you were looking for there.
(11) Be friendly. You will be amazed at how people will help each other, even in the craziness, if they are approached with kindness.
(12 ) And my favorite tip of all… skip Black Friday and wait for Cyber Monday instead! There is nothing better than snagging *HOT* deals from the comfort of your own home in your favorite PJ’s!
***Many of the black Friday/Thursday shopping deals are available online, as well as in the store. And you do not have to wait for Cyber Monday! An added bonus, you can stay home in your jammies, and access their website via ebates, shoprunner, or other bonus portals, and make cash back.
I just received a $136. check from ebates. Since I started, I have received $1342, for only starting at ebates, before I go to Nordstrom, Ulta, Sephora or Drugstore.com. If you are going to shop online, it truly is worth it to go to ebates.com first, then onto your chosen website. Plus, they list other discounts as well.
Girlfriend Advice for Black Friday
- 1. Wear Comfortable Clothes and shoes. Dress in layers you may want to peel down while shopping. Ladies this is the one day out of the year that you do not need to dress to impress!!!
- 2. Make your list ahead of time , prioritize and get organized.
- 3. Don’t forget to print any coupons that can be used and attach them to the store flyers you are shopping. Check your coupon policy before going to the store as stores may change their policies for special days like Black Friday
- 4. Bring Bottled Water and Snacks.
- 5. Ladies bring a hair tie, just wear a rubber-band or scrunchie around your wrist to pull your hair up when you get hot from standing in a crowd.
- 6. Walkie Talkies are great to have. I have used these in the past and they are great to have. Faster than using your cell phone. Plus sometimes cell phone reception is not reliable.
- 7. Shop with FRIENDS. (Our favorite way to shop!) Use the buddy system so you can tag team and get the deals you need.
- 8. Don’t forget to price match your ads. You will definitely save on time and gas. Walmart is a great place to take all of your ads to. If your shopping Walmart don’t forget those coupons that will give you overage to put towards those already low Black Friday prices to save even more.
- 9. Go to the store a day early and scout out where your items will be placed in the store. More often in not stores like Walmart will place items in unusual spots in the store to help with lines and keep everyone organized. One year the TV I wanted was in health and beauty.
- 10. Wear contacts instead of glasses.No need them falling off and breaking.
- 11. Don’t forget your camera, flip cam or camera phone to catch the deals you are getting as well as those crazy shoppers. You never know when you might have the next viral video for You Tube… LOL.
- 12. Research big ticket items before you go shopping. Check out online reviews and make sure the product is as good as you thought before you spend the money.
- 13. Make sure you bring the ads to the store with you. In case you need to prove a discount or your forgot what store was having a certain sale.
- 14. Ask for gift receipts and check to make sure your store does not have a restocking fee.
- 15. Check to see if those Black Friday specials are available online and shop from the convenience of your home.
Don’t forget many stores are already having “Doorbuster Sales,” so keep checking your local paper for more deals and steals.
STORE OPENING TIMES
BEST BUY – 6 p.m. Thursday, November 28 Best Buy will begin its “Doorbuster Deals” at 6 p.m. Thanksgiving. According to the company’s ad, tickets will be handed out for items up to two hours before the store opens. Best Buy is also promoting “Midnight Mystery Doorbusters” beginning at 12 a.m. Friday and a later sale at 10 a.m. Friday.
GAP, BANANA REPUBLIC AND OLD NAVY – They normally abide by Mall store hours (which they will be open from 8 p.m. to midnight on Thanskgiving). However, many of them of Flagship stores (stand alone stores) that will have different hours of operation, and I currently do not have them at the moment. Though, many of them might follow Mall Hours protocol.
JCPENNEY – 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28
KMART – 6 a.m. Thursday, November 28 Kmart will open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning and stay open for 41 hours straight until 11 p.m. on Black Friday. The store is promoting “Triple Doorbusters”, with sales beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday, 7 p.m. Thursday and 6 a.m. Friday.
KOHL’S – 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28 Kohl’s Department Stores announced it will open its doors at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, kicking off its Black Friday event earlier than ever. Stores will be open for 28 hours straight – from 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28 through midnight on Friday.
MACY’S – 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28 For the first time in its 155-year history, Macy’s will be open on Thanksgiving. The store announced in mid-October that it would open at 8 p.m. that Thursday with a variety of sales running through Saturday, November 30.
SEARS – stores will be open beginning at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day through 10 p.m. on Black Friday, with more than 1,000 doorbusters available until 1 p.m. Friday. According to the company’s website, this is the third year Sears is opening on Thanksgiving.
TARGET – 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28. They have an amazing deal! If you spend $75 or more, you will receive a 20% off coupon to use in their store from December 1st to the 7th! Plus all single roll wrapping paper is Buy 1 Get 1 Free! Also, if you buy an Keurig K40 Brewing Elite system for $99, you will get a $20 Target Gift card. Great time to get your Keurig!!
TOYS R US – 5 p.m. Thursday, November 28 Opening earlier than nearly all its competitors, Toys R Us announced its Black Friday sale would begin at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving. The store is offering more than 300 “doorbuster values” that range from 4-hour deals to sales available through Saturday.
WALMART – 6 p.m. Thursday, November 28
Walmart is once again staggering its Black Friday sales, with the first round starting at 6 p.m. Thursday and the second round beginning two hours later at 8 p.m. The final event starts at 8 a.m. Friday and runs all weekend. The company is offering a “1 Hour In Stock Guarantee” on select featured items. If a featured item sells out within the first hour, Walmart says customers can instead purchase a “guarantee card” that will ensure they receive that item before Christmas at the advertised Black Friday price.
ACE HARDWARE: Open at 6 a.m. Friday, November 29.
- 25% All Regular Priced items from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. with in store coupon. November 29
- 50% Off One Regular Priced item $30 or lower with in store coupon. November 30
- $10 Off your purchase of $50 or more with in store coupon. December 1
- Earn $50 in Reward points when you spend $500 on your Ace Hardware Credit Card.
AEROPOSTALE: Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
- 60% Off Everything!
- Spend $100 or more will get free Skullcandy Earbuds
- Spend $150 or more will get free Skullcandy 2XL
AAFES: Opens at 4 a.m. Friday, November 29.
- 2 Hour Deal: 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. –> Dyson Hand held vacuum For $119 with $25 off in store coupon. Regularly $195!
- 2 Hour Deal: 10 a.m. to Noon –> Special Edition Keurig Brewing System $99 with $30 off in store coupon. Regularly $129
- 4 Hour Deal: Noon to 4 p.m. –> 25% off All Coach Products! Discount available online! Use coupon code:x3184coach
AMERICAN EAGLE: Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28 . It hasn’t been confirmed yet, but they normally have everything 50% off! I’ll be waiting on this one.
BARNES & NOBLE: Store opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
- Spend $75 and receive a $10 eGift Card
- Nook Simple Touch $79 Plus Free Shipping
BATH & BODY WORKS: Store Opens 12 p.m. Thursday, November 28 closes 11 p.m. Friday, November 29.
- Last year, and previous years, they normally do an adorable bag with tons of products in it for $20, but these come in limited quantities. The retail value of the products is $100+!!
BIG LOTS : Store opens 6 a.m. Friday, November 29.
CATO: Store Opens 7 a.m Friday, November 29.
CHRISTOPHER & BANKS: Store opens 6 a.m. Friday, November 29.
CLAIRE’S: Store Opens 8 p.m.
DEB: Store Opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
DICK’S SPORTING GOODS: Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28
- All Deals End at 2 p.m. (Regional Times, check Dicks.com for your area)
- Take $15 off Athletic Foot Wear $59.99 or higher with coupon.
- Take $15 off Nike, Adidas or Reebok Athletic Wear purchase of $59.99 or higher.
- 50% off Nike Performance Fleece (Men, Women and Youth)
DILLARD’S: Store Opens 8 a.m. They will be Closed Thanksgiving.
FINISH LINE : Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
FRED’S: Store Opens 5 a.m. Friday, November 29.
- Save 20% off iTunes Gift Cards
GAMESTOP: Store Opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
- Buy 2 Get 1 Free Pre-Owned Products
- 30% Extra Instore Credit for Trades
- Nintendo 2DS for $129 (Red or Blue)
- BOGO Disney Infinity Characters
GNC: Stores open 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. Friday, November 29. Depending on location.
HOBBY LOBBY: Store Opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
HOLLISTER CO.: Store opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28
HOME DEPOT: Store opens 5 a.m. Friday, November 29.
HOT TOPIC: Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
JO-ANN FABRICS: Store Opens 6 a.m. Friday, November 29
JOURNEYS: Store opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
JUSTICE: Store opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
KAY JEWELERS: Store Opens 6 a.m. Friday, November 29.
HALLMARK SHOP: Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28
LANE BRYANT: Store Opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
LOWE’S: Store Opens 5 a.m. Friday, November 29.
- 50% off Kobalt 227 piece Mechanic Tool Set
- $0.99 Poinsettias
- Outdoor patio heating lamps 50% off
MAURICES : Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
MARSHALLS: Store Opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
MENARDS: Store Opens 6 a.m. Friday, November 29.
MICHAEL’S: Store opens 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday, November 28 and then 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, November 29.
- Coupon for 60% off PLUS an additional 20% off Custom Framing.
- 30% off Entire purchase (including sale items).
- 40% off Entire purchase (Regular priced items only).
- 70% off Holiday Ribbon.
- Ashland Jar Scented Candles 4/$10!
OFFICE DEPOT: Store Opens 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. On Thursday, November 28 and then reopens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
OFFICE MAX: Store opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28 and then Black Friday pricing starts at 12:01 a.m.
- Buy 1 Get 1 Free Office Max Brand Printer Ink!
- Gift Card deals: Buy $50 iTunes gift card & get $10 off. Buy $200 Master Card Gift Card and get $20 off!
- $59 for a Mach Speed 4GB Tablet!
OLD NAVY: Store Opens8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
- Save 50% off the entire store!
PAC SUN: Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
PAYLESS: Store Opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
PEEBLES : Store opens 6 p.m. Thursday, November 28 – 1 a.m. Friday, November 29. It then reopens
6 a.m. – 9 p.m. Friday, November 29.
PETCO: Store opens 7 a.m. Friday, November 29.
RADIO SHACK : Store Opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
ROSS DRESS FOR LESS: Store Opens 5 a.m. Friday, November 29.
RUE 21: Store 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
SAM’S CLUB : Store Opens 7 a.m. Friday, November 29.
SHOE SENSATION: Store opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
STAPLES: Store opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28 – 12 a.m. Friday, November 29 and then reopens
6 a.m. – 9 p.m. Friday, November 28.
THE CHILDREN’S PLACE : Store opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
THE SHOE DEPT.: Store opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
THINGS REMEMBERED : Store Opens 12 a.m. Or 6 a.m. (Check the website for your area) Friday, November 29.
T.J. MAXX: Store Opens 8 a.m. Friday, November 29.
ULTA BEAUTY: Store opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
VANITY: Store Opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
VICTORIA’S SECRET: Store opens 12 a.m. Friday, November 29.
WET SEAL: Store Opens 8 p.m. Thursday, November 28.
BLACK FRIDAY PLANNER…to keep track of those killer deals that are making you leave the comfort and safety of your home.
BLACK FRIDAY WORKOUT
THURSDAY IS THE NEW BLACK…BIG FAT DEALS
Deals are the currency of Black Friday or rather Black Thursday this year. On Thanksgiving, Toys R Us will open its doors at 5 p.m. Best Buy will welcome shoppers at 6 p.m. Walmart is hosting two major sales events at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Macy’s, JC Penney, Target and Kohl’s are opening at 8 p.m. Source: USA Today
SHOPPERS: Nielsen forecasts smaller Black Friday crowds
So, start planning. Here’s a list of some good deals starting on Thanksgiving. (Some deals will run until Nov. 30. Be sure to check your local stores. Quantities are limited on some items.)
MORE: Malls compete to lure holiday shoppers with freebies
• Get a $100 gift card when you buy any iPad.
• iPhone 5s is selling for $179 with a two-year contract with AT&T or Verizon Wireless.
• $30 gift card when you buy an iPhone 5s.
• Samsung is offering a 55-inch, LED HDTV for $697.99, a savings of $202.
• Need a camera? Buy a Nikon L320 for $99, regularly priced at $229.99.
TIPS: 8 easy steps to make online shopping safer
• The Internet giant is offering 20% or more off tablets, laptops, streaming media players.
• 30% or more off unlocked cellphones.
• 50% or more off headphones, car electronics, tablet cases, cellphone cases, and laptop bags.
• LED TV will be available for $98 on Nov. 28.
• Apple iPad mini Wi-Fi 16GB is going for $299 with a complimentary $100 Walmart gift card.
• Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, no? Snag a 1-carat diamond and sterling silver pendant and earring set for $98.
EARLY SHOPPING: Walmart to launch Black Friday sales earlier
• The store is offering previous generation products for a discounted price, with a $299.99 iPad 2 and an Amazon Kindle Fire HD- 7 inch display for $99.99.
• Movies such as Skyfall and World War Z are going for $7.99 each.
• $15 of free Kohl’s cash to spend in the store with every $50 you spend on Thanksgiving or Black Friday.
• LG 42-inch HDTV is selling for $379.99.
My thoughts re: Black Thursday…Bah Humbug! It’s not so much that people will be shopping at stores, but those stores need to have employees, which means many people, will not have a choice, but to work on Thanksgiving. And that makes me sad. One more reason that Nordstrom will be my store of choice, for everything I can possbily get this holiday season…due to their stand of Not opening up on Thanksgiving…and not subjecting us to holiday decorations until day after Thanksgiving. Best. Store. Ever!
I am so thankful for my family, children and friends…and Murphy! My cup, truly runneth over…So very blessed.
Have a wonderful, happy, loving and filling Thanksgiving.
Previous Black Friday Posts