- Sparkly dress (2 bling points) + earrings (1 bling) – necklace = 3 bling points
- Black dress (0 bling) + bold necklace (1 bling) + cocktail ring (1 bling) + shoes or bag (1 bling) – big earrings = 3 bling points
- Dramatic updo (1 bling) + drop earrings (1 bling) + bracelet or ring(1 bling) – necklace = 3 bling points
- Jeweled cuff bracelet (1 bling) + shimmery metallic sandals (1 bling) + bold red lipstick (1 bling) – watch = 3 bling points
Remember not to use all your bling points in the same vicinity. Location matters (just like in real estate). If you are wearing a big cocktail ring, wear a smaller bracelet. Wearing large chandelier earrings? Don’t wear a large necklace. (Heavy earrings that make your earlobes sag are Not Cool. When purchasing large earrings, make sure they are light and don’t make your earlobes sag). If you have a sparkly dress, limit the amount of bling. If you are sporting the world’s most Fabulous shoes (shown above), make sure the dress is simple without too much bling. Same goes for the Stunning Judith Leiber holiday clutch. The shoes or clutch becomes the focus. Don’t have your jewelry clash with them. If you choose to dazzle the world with fancy hair, then go more simple with the make-up. Everything in moderation.
Some examples of the 3-Bling Rule:
And for the men…all I have to say, is please Avoid…at All Costs…the Bling- Bling Pinky Ring!
TIP: When going out for a big, important event…have a “dress rehearsal” and have a friend take some photo’s in your evening attire, complete with hair, make and accessories. This way you can see what the rest of the world sees, and become your own fashion and beauty editor.
“Diamonds are forever…jewelry is not”. Upgrade and update your jewelry…while I have many vintage pieces I wear from my mother or grandmother, and even some bought at a flea market, old jewelry can be just that…old jewelry.
And if you just don’t want to bling out when going out? Make sure your personality sparkles…and that’s all the bling you will need!
And Audrey Hepburn is Perfection… WWAD? When in doubt, ask?…What would Audrey Do?
- How Not to Look Old…for the Men! (dressedtoat.wordpress.com)