I fancy myself a savvy traveler, and an even savvier packer. I can color-coordinate with the best of ’em, and thought I was a Master of packing for a trip. Well, not so much. My luggage weighed in at a whopping 85 Pounds for a recent trip to Vegas from Sat – Wed. I’m not a total buffoon, as this was spread out amongst 2 bags, but it’s still “weigh too excessive” (pun intended). Not sure where I went so horribly wrong, but I became the poster child for Over Packing. And just because I know you can get more in a suitcase by rolling your clothes, doesn’t mean you need to roll an entire wardrobe into one suitcase.
My main roller bagged weighed it just below the heavyweight division at 47.5 pounds. My smaller bag, which I also check, tipped the scales at 33 pounds. What in the world was I thinking? The larger roller bag holds my clothes, workout shoes, 2 pair of boots, and additional work materials if needed. The small bag is supposed to hold my shoes, more boots, handbags, hairbrushes, chargers and toiletry bag. Something went terribly awry, and my sore back, shoulders and hips, from dragging the luggage from only the luggage carousel to my limo was a tell-tale sign that I need a packing intervention. Have I mentioned that I have an additional “laptop” bag, which in and of itself, probably weighs 10 LBs. Ugh!
I know better and was negligent in taking my own packing advice. Here are some great tips, though I caution reading these or taking these tips, as I clearly didn’t follow them myself, but shall on my next trip! And thank you to my friend Mickey with Doncaster, for sharing some of these helpful tips!
1. Go over your itinerary carefully and determine the different types of event you need clothes for
2. Plan to wear the same outfit on travel days. I always wear my heavier clothes as well, and always have my shawl and jacket with me on the plane.
3. Check the weather forecast before you pack. I remember going to FL, thinking I was good with skirts, t-shirts and sandals, only to arrive and find out it was a “breezy” 40 degrees… Should have checked the forecast. I also keep a small umbrella in my luggage, which stays put. And hopefully, stays put in the luggage during the entire trip!
4. Plan a color scheme and stick to it…I stick with black (I know shocking)…that way my boots, shoes and handbags go with everything. You can mix things up with accessories, scarves and jewelery.
5. Wear the clothes that make your feel best…If you don’t wear it at home, you will Not wear it when you are away. And if you don’t fit into it at home, trust me, you will NOT fit into it when you are away.
6. Use a packing system or “packing “…small bags that are for undergarments, shoes, toiletries. It keeps everything clean and organized. This also minimizes the need to unpack if moving from place to place, and lessens disruption if your bag is opened and searched at the airport.
7. I always keep my toiletry bag stocked at all times. When I return from a trip, I ensure I have everything I need, so that bag is always ready to go, and the small bottles are filled. I also have an extra phone chargers, which I keep in my toiletry bag, so never to be on the road, and unable to charge my phone(s).
Happy Travels…and may you travel safely and lightly!